Housing Grants

USDA Home Repair Grant & Loan Program

USDA Home Repair Program USDAThe U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has a housing grant up to $7,500 for Kern County residents who are (a) low income, (b) own their own home, and (c) at least 62 years old. Qualified recipients must use licensed contractors, and use the money for home repairs such as broken windows, roofing, and health & safety upgrades. Applicants must also live in the home being repaired and demonstrate “low” or “very low” income (see below).

The USDA also has low interest loans up to $20,000 available to residents who are (a) low income, and (b) own their own home. Loans have an interest rate of 1 percent, and the payback period for loan is up to 20 years. Qualified recipients must also have an acceptable credit history, including no collections, judgments, liens, or delinquent federal debts.

For questions contact Mary Norton at the USDA branch in Bakersfield at 661-336-0976 (ext. 133), or Mary.Norton@USDA.CA.GOV. Click here for an application. Kern County Income Requirements:
USDA Very Low Income

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s